What is the IoT
The Internet of Things (IoT) for the Hotel sector is represented by the use of digital technology interconnected within the accommodation facilities, i.e. devices that can communicate via the internet and exchange data with other devices. The hotel and all its spaces (rooms, common areas, maintenance spaces, warehouse, services, etc.) no longer function as separate areas, but managed in a global way, collecting the amount of information and combining them continuously, centralizing data on a single centralized platform, allowing a more efficient business management.
This is what is called Hospitality 4.0: processing information from different sources to produce useful knowledge to make decisions and take the best actions for the business.
The use of sensors and home automation inside hotels and hotels, therefore has a direct impact both on daily activities, on the level of customer satisfaction, on cost containment and maintenance efficiency.
The effects of hotel IoT
Wanting to offer an overview of the immediate advantages derived from the use of iot systems for the management of accommodation facilities, we have first of all:
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY- the containment of energy costs is possible through the monitoring of the various plants no longer as watertight compartments but integrated in a global automated management (e.g. lighting and temperature of the rooms that regulate themselves according to the presence of guests or not).
- COST REDUCTION– mainly understood as activities that can be automated by freeing up hours of work by staff, which can be used for more important tasks (e.g. warehouse management and inventory with automated systems).
- ZERO WASTE – identifying ineffective services (less used, less performing or less appreciated) replacing them with solutions more in line with the tastes and habits of customers is equivalent to reducing waste and maximizing investment.
- INFORMATION AND MARKETING– communicate to customers the right information when they are most relevant (e.g. communicate the restaurant menu or the services of the gym when customers are close to the facilities).
- PREVENTIVE AND PREDICTIVE MAINTENANCE– the constant monitoring of the various plants and structures allows you to predict when a system needs maintenance to avoid malfunctions and therefore inconveniences, thus reducing costs and at the same time improving the customer experience.
- PERSONALIZED EXPERIENCE– in a customer-centric vision, the user is at the center of everything and his experience is custom built. For example some web-based services such as the introduction of the virtual reception with secure self check-in and check-out, free the user from files and waits. Or the use of your own device instead of the traditional magnetic card, allows you to integrate geolocation data or behavior habits to maximize the guest experience in the facility.
IoT and Advanced Analytics
The amount of data produced by IoT systems for hospitality is a valuable source of strategic information for management. Any type of data, structured or not, can be collected, integrated with data from sources outside the structure, and combined with each other through Business Intelligence & Analytics systems. The same data is then enriched and transformed into information much more significant than the data of origin, are then made available through platforms and dashboards of Advanced Analytics allowing key business figures to make advanced and increased analytics.
Predict the future with BI
The hospitality sector more than any other is conditioned by external events and the local context in which they are: weather conditions, attractiveness of the geographical area, events that can determine large displacements, transport systems and their conditions, type of user, etc., are all factors that affect the amount of demand and the possibility of practicing or not certain prices.
Predicting future events, allows the accommodation to position itself in the market with the best offer: that is, the one that allows not only to set the best pricing strategy, but also the right combination of services to meet the type of customers and achieve greater retention.
For example, by integrating internal structure data with traffic data, seasonal events, market trends and competition availability, enriching them with data on behavior, requests and guest feedback, you can predict the quality and quantity of demand for a certain time of year and then study a winning customer-centric strategy.
BBI x Hospitality is an integrated advanced analysis system specifically for the Hotellerie sector, essential to constantly monitor the current situation, predict the future business and implement the best development strategies of your market.